Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend... and Beyond

Here we are.... Memorial Day weekend at the end of May already.  Today is Ski to Sea race day as well.  In typical fashion, the weather is unpredictable.  It is wet and gloomy outside as of now, but supposed to clear off and be better as the day goes by.

So many of us think of this weekend as the official opening of camping and BBQ season.  Others of us are completely focused on the big event called Ski to Sea.  My hope is that all of us will take tomorrow, Memorial Day, to stop and pay respect to the men and women who have died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.

Memorial Day isn't about remembering just anyone.  It isn't about those currently serving, or who have served and are still living.  This day is about those who paid the ultimate price for us all.  This day is about honoring and respecting and remembering those who died for our freedom, for our country.  We have other days set aside for paying respect to active members of service, and for those who have served and are still living.  We have days for remembering loved ones who have past.  We even have days for celebrating BBQ.  But Memorial Day isn't about these things, or these people...... and I am hoping that anyone who reads my blog will remember that, and take some time tomorrow to simply be quiet, pay a little respect, and maybe say a little prayer, for those men and women who sacrificed all for us.

As for today..... Ski to Sea!!!  My brother, Brad, is competing today with his team from Lynden Door.  The "Doorknobs"........ recreational division.  This is Brad's first race, and he is riding the 42 mile road bike course for his team.  I am excited for him, and hoping that he has a great ride, lots of fun, and that he does well.  We will be at Riverside Park to await his arrival when he comes racing in to hand off to the canoe team.  Afterwards, we will help Brad get back to his place to clean up, and then head to Fairhaven to see the race finish, and enjoy the festivities and celebrations of another year of racing this great event.  I raced last year, and am out for this year...... but, I miss it already, and am thinking ahead to next year!

As we head into this final week of May, our schedules our crazy busy for the next 6 to 8  weeks.  We have some big things to get done around the place, fast, so we can get our place on the market for sale.  I have already been listing things on Craigslist, and have sold a few items.  We have a ton of clean-up to do, organizing, and getting ready for some big garage/shop/yard sales to clear things out as well.  I hauled a big load of scrap metal to Z's recently, and got $130 in cash.  I finally managed to get the field fence all cleared and repaired, and finally super hot with electricity...... those dang cattle should be staying put from now on!!!

Grammy & Papa will come up with their motor home at the end of this week, and will be here on into July, when we head east to Ellensburg for the state baseball tournament.  I am very much looking forward to having their help, inside and outside, with getting our house all spruced up and ready for sale.  Curb appeal, and maximizing what the market will bear for us, while spending as little as possible.  I have a list of projects to work on... and many of them are labor intensive.  I suspect that the month of June is going to be gone before I even know it.

In addition, it is time to start working once again on my health.  My physical and mental health have been shot for some time now, and it isn't a good thing.  I worked so very hard to become healthy and happy, and I loved where I had gotten to.  I was happy, and I was happy with myself.  And then I had to take on that second job.... and things fell apart!  It was a long and painful six months, in which time I went backwards physically and mentally.  I have been in a major slump ever since, and have struggle to get going again.  Not being a part of a fitness club has hurt bad, and I haven't had time to ride much this year.  Excuses have been the death of me, and it is time for change.  I am tired of being unhappy with my body, and my level of fitness, and my unhappiness.  I am so very hopeful that I can make big changes in the month of June!!!

June..... baseball, baseball, and more baseball.  Getting the house on the market to sell.  Getting my life back in order again.  Getting back on my bike again.  Working on home improvement projects.  Selling off as much as we can.  Spending time with Grammy & Papa. 

1 comment:

  1. We are looking forward to being up there and getting some things done while spending some great time with all of you guys. We are starting to get the MH ready for the trip north and I have this place ready for us to leave it for awhile. Your comments on Memorial day are right on. As we used to say when I was in the service, "All gave some but some gave all"

    ReplyDelete